I love my juicer and recommend everyone to get one and juice as often as possible. You don't have to get a really expensive one, as long as you juice slowly and wisely. I try to juice veggies and fruits at least once or twice a week. I often juice carrots, mych because of the colour and the taste but also the benefits of drinking it. Carrot juice is also often called the "miracle juice". A large number of people have found that the inclusion of carrotjuice in their diet has greatly imporved their health. I usually make carrot juice with a hint of ginger and usually add a bit of turmeric just to make it even healthier. Personally, I eat a lot with my eyes and love foods, juices and smoothies that are rich in natural colur and taste. Knowing that the food I put in my mouth is filled with powerful nutrients that helps my body to be strong, healthy and beautiful, gives me the motivation to choose my foods with awareness. So the rich colour of this juice, the rich taste, it is truly divine!
2 - 3 kgs of organic carrots
2- 3 cm of ginger
1 teaspoon of turmeric
Can be stored in the fridge for a few hours (needs to be stirred before drinking) but is better served fresh!
Health benefits of carrot juice:
1. Stimulate Appetite and Improve Digestion
When you have carrot juice around 20 minutes before eating a meal, it will serve to help stimulate your body’s secretion of the digestive juices, serving as a great appetizer. The soluble fiber in carrots can benefit your digestive organs in many ways, thus promoting digestion.
2. Improve Eyesight
Most people are already aware that carrot juice improves eyesight but do not know how it does so. It is because carrots contain both beta-carotene and lutein. These compounds protect vision, specifically night vision. The liver converts beta-carotene into vitamin A and then this compound goes to the retina and becomes rhodopsin, a substance necessary to healthy night-vision.
3. Prevent Cancer
Carrot juice contains high levels of carotenoids and these have been associated with a decrease of 20% for postmenopausal breast cancer. Some studies looking at the carrot juice benefits have also shown a 50% decrease in occurrence of the following cancers: larynx, colon, prostate, cervix and bladder. Other studies have shown similar results regarding lung cancer. Researchers believe these effects are due to the levels of xanthophylls, gamma-carotene, lycopene, lutein and alpha-carotene.
4. Regulate Blood Sugar
Researchers believe that carrots may also be able to help regulate your blood sugar. This is due to their high content of carotenoids, which have been inversely associated with blood sugar levels which are high.
5. Promote Lung Health
Carrot juice is great at promoting lung health including protecting the respiratory system from risks of infection and helping to counter the bad side effects associated with smoking. This is because carrot juice is very rich in vitamin A can help reduce the risk of emphysema which is one of the biggest risks for smokers.
6. Benefit Your Skin
When you have a vitamin A deficiency it can cause damage and dryness to your hair, nails and skin. Because of its high vitamin A content, carrot juice is able to help with psoriasis and other dry skin problems.
7. Enrich Lactation
Nursing mothers should also consider carrot juice benefits as it can help them enrich their milk. It can also help supply calcium during pregnancy. Carrot juice is also an excellent way to ensure an infant who is breastfeeding receives vitamin A.
8. Improve Liver Functions
One of the most useful methods for detoxing your liver is to have between 2 and 3 pints of carrot juice each day. This quantity may cause your skin to develop an orange hue due to the toxic bile that is being purged from your liver.
9. Other Benefits
Carrot juice can also help balance your blood acidity, help cleanse acne, fight anemia and help with atherosclerosis, asthma, cholesterol, congestion, constipation, ulcers and water retention.
Carrots that are darker contain more carotene. Most people feel that carrot juice tastes surprisingly sweet and enjoyable and this is due to its high content of natural sugar. Because of this, diabetics should ask their doctors how much carrot juice is recommended in their diet.
The health benefits of turmeric:
Tumeric has been used for over 2500 years in India, where it was most likely first used as a dye.
The medicinal properties of this spice have been slowly revealing themselves over the centuries. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer's disease.
20 health benefits of turmeric:
1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Contraindications: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.
Now, having that said, enjoy your carrot juice!